New Jersey Foreign Qualification

Foreign qualification is the process by which a business entity that was originally formed in another state seeks permission to operate in New Jersey. This involves registering with the Secretary of State in New Jersey to ensure compliance with local laws and regulations.

Follow the guide below to help you register with the Secretary of State in New Jersey or use Mosey to do it.

Use Mosey to register with the Secretary of State in New Jersey.

New Jersey Foreign Qualification for C Corporation, LLC

All foreign companies doing business in New Jersey are required to register with the Secretary of State. New Jersey does not explicitly define "doing business" but provides a list of activities that do not constitute "transacting business."

  1. Obtain Certificate of Good Standing

    To obtain a New Jersey Certificate of Authority, you must also submit a Certificate of Existence, or Certificate of Good Standing, from your home state of incorporation dated within 30 days.

  2. Establish a Registered Agent or a Registered Office

    Establish a registered agent to accept service of process and government notices on behalf of your business. Note: Your registered agent must have a physical address within the state, it cannot be a P.O. Box.

  3. Apply for Certificate of Authority

    File a certificate of authority with the New Jersey Secretary of State to transact business in New Jersey. Registration and a certificate can be filed through the State of NJ - Online Business Entity Filing.

What else do I need to know?

Once you are registered with the Secretary of State, you may have additional requirements to maintain your "good standing" in the state. Failing to do so can result in fines, back taxes, and forfeiting certain priveleges within the state.

Maintaining a Registered Agent

Most states require that you have a registered agent that can receive important mail from the Secretary of State should they need to contact you. There are many commercial options available or you can use Mosey to be your registered agent and keep your information private in New Jersey.

Annual Reports and Taxes

In addition to maintaining a registered agent, most states require you to file a report annually. Registration can also trigger state taxes such as a franchise tax or income tax. You can use Mosey to identify these additional requirements to maintain good standing in New Jersey.

Review your compliance risks, free.

More from the blog

Learn how to keep your business compliant in all 50 states across payroll, HR, Secretary of State, and tax.

How to Change Registered Agents in 3 Easy Steps

Maintaining a registered agent in every state where you’re registered with the Secretary of State is a key compliance requirement—and to avoid fines or other penalties against your business, each agent needs to be able to reliably receive and forward correspondence. If one of your registered agents can’t perform these functions (or if your business needs change), your business can change registered agents by filing a statement with the relevant Secretary of State.

Gabrielle Sinacola | Jul 25, 2023

HR Compliance Checklist: 16 Items To Consider

HR compliance is a cornerstone for smooth operations and the safeguarding of a company’s most valuable asset — its people. As companies grow and even cross borders, keeping up with the ever-shifting HR rules might feel overwhelming. To master compliance, it’s essential to understand HR rules inside out. This knowledge helps you not only avoid legal troubles but also foster a friendly, cohesive work environment. What Is Compliance in HR?

Kaitlin Edwards | Nov 3, 2023

What Is Business Privilege Tax? Mercantile Tax FAQs

Business privilege and mercantile tax (BPM) is a tax assessed on the gross receipts of specific types of businesses, commonly retailers and wholesalers. Originating from the Pennsylvania Local Tax Enabling Act of 1965, this tax serves as compensation for businesses availing local governmental services, such as public safety measures. BPM has undergone multiple changes since 1965. By 1988, the Pennsylvania Local Tax Reform Commission labeled it as a “nuisance tax,” primarily due to inadequacies in the legislative framework and vagueness surrounding the tax base.

Gabrielle Sinacola | Jan 9, 2024

Ready to get started?

Sign up now or schedule a free consultation to see how Mosey transforms business compliance.