Delaware Foreign Qualification

Foreign qualification is the process by which a business entity from another state or country seeks permission to operate in Delaware. This involves registering with the Secretary of State in Delaware and complying with the state's laws and regulations to establish legal presence and conduct business activities within its jurisdiction.

Follow the guide below to help you register with the Secretary of State in Delaware or use Mosey to do it.

Use Mosey to register with the Secretary of State in Delaware.

What else do I need to know?

Once you are registered with the Secretary of State, you may have additional requirements to maintain your "good standing" in the state. Failing to do so can result in fines, back taxes, and forfeiting certain priveleges within the state.

Maintaining a Registered Agent

Most states require that you have a registered agent that can receive important mail from the Secretary of State should they need to contact you. There are many commercial options available or you can use Mosey to be your registered agent and keep your information private in Delaware.

Annual Reports and Taxes

In addition to maintaining a registered agent, most states require you to file a report annually. Registration can also trigger state taxes such as a franchise tax or income tax. You can use Mosey to identify these additional requirements to maintain good standing in Delaware.

Review your compliance risks, free.

More from the blog

Learn how to keep your business compliant in all 50 states across payroll, HR, Secretary of State, and tax.

What is Short-Term Disability? 5 States Requiring SDI (2023)

As of 2023, five US states require employers to provide short-term disability insurance to workers: California, Hawaii, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island. Eligibility requirements, employer contributions rates, and authorized providers vary by state—but in general, businesses with at least one non-owner employee who performs work in one of these states need to obtain coverage to maintain compliance with state law. What is state disability insurance (SDI)? State disability insurance (SDI) refers to a collection of state programs that require employers to offer short-term disability insurance to workers.

Gabrielle Sinacola | Aug 4, 2023

Doing Business in Texas as a Foreign Corporation

The mark of a successful business is their ability to grow. If you want to expand your continued success into other markets across the United States, there may be situations where you’re required to register as a foreign corporation. Each state has its own rules and regulations regarding when a business should register as a foreign corporation. Here’s what you should know about expanding your business into Texas. What Does It Mean To Be a Foreign Corporation?

Kaitlin Edwards | Jan 17, 2024

LLC vs. S-Corp: What Are They & How They Work

Choosing between an LLC and an S-corp can be a game-changer for your business. In this guide, we break it all down to help you make an informed decision. Plus, find out how you can simplify your compliance tasks, no matter which path you choose. What Is an LLC? An LLC, or limited liability company, is a legal business structure that offers substantial liability protection for the owners, known as members.

Kaitlin Edwards | Nov 1, 2023

Ready to get started?

Sign up now or schedule a free consultation to see how Mosey transforms business compliance.