Kansas Payroll Tax Registration

Congratulations on hiring a new employee in Kansas! To ensure compliance with state regulations, employers are required to register for payroll tax with the Kansas Department of Revenue, allowing you to report and remit the necessary taxes on behalf of your employee.

How Kansas Payroll Registration Works

There are 2 payroll tax setup tasks you may need to complete in Kansas to get your new hire on payroll for the first time. You can follow the guide below to help you get registered directly with the Kansas agencies or use Mosey to do it.

Use Mosey to register for payroll tax in Kansas.

Kansas Withholding Tax Setup

Employers with Kansas employees must register with the Kansas Department of Revenue for a withholding tax account.

  1. Register to KDOR Customer Service Center

    Visit the Kansas Department of Revenue Customer Service Center online to sign up for an account.

  2. Contact Electronic Services

    After signing up on the Kansas Department of Revenue Customer Service Center, contact Electronic Services for your access code.

  3. Add a Withholding Tax Account to Your Login

    Once you receive your access code, go to "New Tax Registration" on the homepage to add and connect your withholding account to your login.

  4. Configure Payroll with Your Withholding Account ID

    Provide your withholding tax account ID to your payroll provider.

Kansas Unemployment Insurance Setup

Employers must register with the Kansas Department of Labor for an Unemployment Insurance account.

  1. Register for a Kansas Unemployment Tax Account

    Employers with Kansas employees must register with Department of Labor for an Unemployment Insurance tax account. The Department will review your registration, assign you an employer account number, and send you the account number and a PIN.

  2. Configure Payroll with your Unemployment Tax Number

    Add your employer account number and Unemployment Insurance contribution rate to your payroll provider.

Review your compliance risks, free.

More from the blog

Learn how to keep your business compliant in all 50 states across payroll, HR, Secretary of State, and tax.

Doing Business in Texas as a Foreign Corporation

The mark of a successful business is their ability to grow. If you want to expand your continued success into other markets across the United States, there may be situations where you’re required to register as a foreign corporation. Each state has its own rules and regulations regarding when a business should register as a foreign corporation. Here’s what you should know about expanding your business into Texas. What Does It Mean To Be a Foreign Corporation?

Kaitlin Edwards | Jan 17, 2024

What is Multi-State Payroll?

Remote work is becoming increasingly popular with businesses and employees: According to estimates, flexible work arrangements have become three to ten times more common since 2019. Offering remote work options can give employers access to a national talent pool, reduce overhead costs, and help businesses attract and retain the best people for their teams. This shift also means that an increasing number of companies face multi-state payroll obligations. If you employ out-of-state remote workers, have business locations in multiple states, or have employees who travel for work, you may be required to withhold taxes in multiple states.

Gabrielle Sinacola | Jun 20, 2023

How To Register a Business Step by Step

As an entrepreneur, it’s easy to get caught up in the thrill of innovation, product development, and marketing — but none of these can happen without the foundational step of business registration. In this guide, we’ll cover how to register a business, why it’s important, and what advantages it offers. Why Do You Need To Register Your Business? Understanding how to register a business is essential for overall business compliance.

Gabrielle Sinacola | Dec 17, 2023

Ready to get started?

Sign up now or schedule a free consultation to see how Mosey transforms business compliance.